Movement Building Sessions: Training & Planning
We’re excited to announce that at this Power Shift, we’re introducing something entirely new: Movement Building Sessions to train and plan for the next wave of grassroots action. With your help, Power Shift 2011 will be the largest organizer training and strategy sessions in history.
Over the course of Power Shift, people will work through a series of sessions to learn powerful skills to share their own stories, create powerful strategies to motivate others in collective action, and lay the ground work to launch grassroots campaigns across the country.
But we can’t make it happen without you. The beauty of this training is that it’s led by our own grassroots leaders who know first hand what our communities and campuses are up against. To ensure that thousands of people have the opportunity to participate, we need a skilled group of organizers to lead the Movement Building Sessions.
When you sign up, you're taking a real leadership role in the next phase of our movement, and we'll be there to support you all the way. You'll take part in the Power Shift Facilitator Online Workshops which will orient you to the goal of Power Shift, the concepts of the Movement Building Sessions and prepare you to lead and facilitate the breakout workshops at Power Shift. Along the way, you will work with Lead Trainers and organizers from the New Organizing Institute Education Fund, who has developed trainings, technology and campaigns in the immigration, labor and equal rights movements.
Power Shift Facilitator Online Workshops
In order to prepare to be a Power Shift Facilitator, we're asking you to take part in a series of 4 Online Workshops. The Facilitator Orientation will walk you through the goals of Power Shift and the unique role you will play as Facilitator to reach those goals. The next three workshops will go through each Training Session and walk you through how to lead and facilitate the breakout workshops with your teams at Power Shift.
You may sign up for a single Track, with all 3 sessions occurring at the same time for 3 consecutive days. Or, you can mix and match the days and times to best suit your schedule. All sessions will be online and will require the use of a computer and strong internet connection.
Facilitator Orientation - Sign up now!
- Tuesday, 4/5, 7:00 - 8:30pm EDT / 4:00 - 5:30pm PDT
- Wednesday, April 6, 10-11:30pm EDT / 7-8:30pm PDT
- Thursday, April 7, 4-5:30pm EDT / 1-2:30pm PDT
Session 1: Story of Self and Building Relationships - Sign up now!
- Friday 4/8, 5:30 - 6:30pm EDT / 2:30 - 3:30pm PDT (Track 1)
- Saturday 4/9, 3:30 - 4:30pm EDT / 12:30 - 1:30pm PDT (Track 2)
- Sun 4/10, 1:30 - 2:30pm EDT / 10:30 - 11:30am PDT (Track 3)
Session 2: Team and Tactics & Timeline - Sign up now!
- Saturday 4/9, 5:30 - 6:30pm EDT / 2:30 - 3:30pm PDT (Track 1)
- Sunday, 4/10, 3:30 - 4:30pm EDT / 12:30 - 1:30pm PDT (Track 2)
- Monday 4/11, 1:30 - 2:30pm EDT / 10:30 - 11:30am PDT (Track 3)
Session 3: Theory of Change and Story of Us & Now - Sign up now!
- Sunday 4/10, 5:30 - 6:30pm EDT / 2:30 - 3:30pm PDT (Track 1)
- Monday 4/11, 3:30 - 4:30pm EDT / 12:30 - 1:30pm PDT (Track 2)
- Tuesday 4/12, 1:30 - 2:30pm EDT / 10:30 - 11:30am PDT (Track 3)
What does a Facilitator do exactly?
Facilitators play a vital role in the success of Power Shift. You'll work with 10 people to move through the Movement Building Sessions and help facilitate their breakouts. During the breakout sessions participants will be planning real strategy, and will begin acting on their strategies before you return home, so you'll not only be a facilitator, but you'll be helping support and launch real grassroots campaigns!
Facilitators will work closely with your Coaches and Lead Trainers to prepare all breakout exercises and should be prepared to spend about 10 hours to prepare for Power Shift, including team calls and practice sessions.
- Participate in Regional Training for Trainers or the Power Shift Online Workshop series to experience and learn how to facilitate the Movement Building sessions first hand with your teams.
- Participate in 2-3 pre-planning calls with Coaches and Lead Trainers to prepare the content of the training and small group workshops
- Facilitate 2 teams of 5 participants at Power Shift to ensure the highest quality campaign launches for their teams after Power Shift ends.
These Regional Trainings have already taken place. However, it's not too late to be a Facilitatator! Sign up now and you can join the Online Workshops to help get you up to speed.
- Bay Area (CA) on March 19-20
- Northeast (Boston, MA) on March 19-20
- Northwest (Portland, OR) on April 2-3
- Southwest (Austin, TX) on April 2-3
- Midwest (Chicago, IL) on April 2-3
- Mid-Atlantic (Washington, DC) on April 2-3
- Southeast (Atlanta, GA) on April 2-3